"Reading is thinking with someone else's head instead of one's own"

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Reading Response: Social Action: "Push"

Question: What really hard things are happening in the book?  Are they happening in the world?

     In the book Push by Sapphire, there are many issues that I recognized. The main character Precious Jones experiences many tragedies and manages to still try and keep up with her surroundings.  The book Push is based on issues that are currently taking place in different places around the world.  The author of Push includes details throughout the book about how Precious is trying to fix the problems she’s having.
     One of the main problems that Precious is having is not receiving the support that she needs. Precious’ father left when he found out that he was the father of Precious’ baby. Her mother always kicks her around and calls her names. She’s always telling Precious that it’s her fault that her father left and she’s a disgrace. Precious’ mother should encourage her and motivate her to think positive and do positive things rather than tell her immature things about herself.
     Another issue that occurred in the book was that Precious had gotten kicked out of school. Precious always says that she loves school, her teachers and learning. But without the help and sustain that she needs, she’s not capable of achieving any of it. Precious dreams of graduating with a diploma and looking for a job, but raising two kids alone without help is tough.
     In reality today, the conflict that took place in the book is a main issue now. Pregnant teenagers are losing the support that they need to carry on a child. Most of their parents are just sitting back and not prompting them to do the right things. Some of these parents aren't even telling their children that they need to change and get back on track. In my opinion, children  should learn from their mistakes and try and do better from where they left off.

5 comments:

  1. This response really interests me and makes me want to read the book. I think the question perfectly suits your response because there are tons of teen pregnancies around the world. I love your ending sentance "Children should learn from their mistakes and try to do better from where they left off" I completely agree with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooord. :) Precious was treated so horribly, it just makes me want to sit down and cry. A child shouldn't be beaten when they make a mistake. They don't know any better! A child should be flooded with love and support, rather than neglect and torment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this article lydia. I really liked how you explained what she wanted to do in life. I am just wondering what are some lessons that the characters learned. Again i state I loved this response :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your elaboration along with your well explained description.

    ReplyDelete