"Reading is thinking with someone else's head instead of one's own"

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Reading Response: The Drummer Boy of Shiloh

     In "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh", Jobi lacks confidence in the beginning of the story. When the story first starts Jobi believes that he's no great compared to the soldiers in the army; and he underestimates himself. He doesn't know what he should do to feel like he actually belongs. Then the army general comes over and one thing he says is, "You boy. You are the heart of the army." (p. 53) This shows that the general wants Jobi to gain confidence in himself and actually notice his importance in the war. This also emphasizes that the general doesn't want Jobi to feel that way about himself. In the end, Jobi understands that he has a purpose in the war just like all the soldiers.
     In the beginning of the story Jobi doubts himself. He sits and rests, while the blossoms fall from the orchard trees above. He didn't have anything to do at that moment in the army. "Me." Thought the boy. "I've got only one drum, two sticks two beat it, and no shield." (p.50) Jobi gave the impression that he thought you had to have any type of armor in order to mean something in the army. What Jobi doesn't know is that he has a very important job and other people in the army are counting on him to do his job. Jobi's boredom is also a result of his lack of confidence which makes him feel like he doesn't have a purpose in the war.
     Jobi's feelings though did start to change as the story continued. The general came over to Jobi and gave him a speech about how he's just as important, and Jobi gave him a chance and listened. "So there you are, that's it. Will you do that boy? Do you know now you're general of the army when general's left behind? You'll run them for me boy?" The general spoke. "Yes sir." Jobi replied. (p.53) From that point in the story, Jobi's personality changed and he felt differently about himself. At that moment, Jobi's feelings started to change. The general's speech gave Jobi the idea that he was important and meant something as much as everyone else participating in the war. As a result, Jobi not only has a different perspective on the war, but he has a different perspective on his role as drummer boy.
     After his scene with the general, Jobi realized that his role as drummer boy is actually very important. From the beginning of the story to now, the general has helped Jobi overcome his problem." The general didn't think that Jobi should feel that way. He proved to Jobi that he meant something and had a purpose too. Jobi lay for a moment staring, but unable to see where the man had gone. He swallowed. He wiped his eyes. He cleared his throat. He settles himself. Then at last, very slowly and firmly he turned the drum so it faced up towards the sky." (p.54) That showed that Jobi was ready to do his job again, by turning his drum back right side up. 
     I can relate to the text "The Drummer Boy of Shiloh" because when I was younger, I would always go to my family's houses and I was always the youngest of my cousins and I'd always think that I wasn't important and I didn't fit in. But as I got older, I gradually understood why I felt that way. I think that any reader who reads this passage should be able to make a connection with the character(s) and also have a lot of complicated thoughts about the passage, which makes them want to continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment